The Melungeons

melungeons.com blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Re: Goins

Re: Goins: ".......Well Jeanette this is not a 'FUN' forum it is a Melungeon Forum. You want fun you should try Nancy's list or Helen Campell's blog page.... they are fun. IMHO they don't have much to do with Melungeons but I've heard they are fun.

Furthermore if you are accusing me of 'slaughtering' this forum because I questioned the myths, stories and trash that has been published about the Melungeons, online and print, then I am really glad to see the hours and hours of work have finally payed off.

Jeanette also wrote;

'One thing, I think I am right about my Goins bloodline. Oh, maybe not What's-His-Name Gaeweene or Gaeweere. Who on earth is arrogant enough to say they can cypher between an 'n' and 'r' in old handwriting?'

.....Well apparently there were a few people arrogant enough to claim it was Gaweene and translated it to Goin/Gowen with no proof whatsoever. Yes no proof. That entire 'theory' is based on someone's interpretation of someone else's interpretaton. The original document does not exist. So why are you calling me arrogant? I will be glad to debate this with you and will gladly apologize if you can come up with an original document.

Furthermore if you cannot get past Joseph Goins and Judith Pollard then you don't even know if you even descend from a Goins. Have you ever seen the records of Phyllis Goens who had illegitimate children by George Gibson? Are you sure you don't descend from this George Gibson and Phyllis Goins?

I have worked very hard since 1997 researching Melungeon families and locating historical articles etc., and sharing my work. By presenting this research to the forums and lists I know I have helped many people realize you can't prove you are a Melungeon by a bump, squat or disease.

All the best
Joanne"

3 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM EDT , Blogger Helen Campbell said...

    Well shiver me tempers is MHO a healthcare company? Or could this be a misspelling for MHA?

    Joanne wrote, "Have you ever seen the records of Phyllis Goens who had illegitimate children by George Gibson? Are you sure you don't descend from this George Gibson and Phyllis Goins?"

    Gosh, does this mean Goen people think they have Melungeon DNA and really don't? Maybe that bump on some heads is from being dropped when they were wee babies. Perhaps Phyllis Goen only dropped the Gibson babies thus causing them to have permanent life long bumps on their skulls. I don't think so. Wonder what Goens did to cause those Mongolian spots? I can hear the old Melungeon bones rattling in their graves. Better close this Melungeon closet door before the Boogie man grabs us all!

    I was working on our Black Melungeon heritage and I must have missed the trial and verdict over who Jeanette was referring too. Appears Joanne was the culprit?

    Just because a person has been researching since 1997, that does not mean a person knows EVERYTHING.

    Gee, I've been researching since 1985 but I don't think I know it all.

    Sure is good to know that Joanne has fun while visiting our blog.

     
  • At 7:20 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Joanne said IMHO not MHO

     
  • At 10:14 PM EDT , Blogger Helen Campbell said...

    Oh gee, now I get it IMHO, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. It was the H humble threw me off.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home