The Melungeons

melungeons.com blog

Thursday, June 30, 2005

DNA Testing

"TallBear: Can DNA determine who is American Indian?

Posted: December 03, 2003 - 8:07am EST

by: Kim TallBear / Associate / Red Nation Consulting

There is talk in Indian country about how DNA can decide tribal enrollment and prove American Indian ancestry. Some of this is coming from DNA testing companies anxious to sell costly services to tribes. Self-determined tribes struggling to control identities and resources must make decisions about the risks and benefits of DNA testing. Some tribal decision-makers display healthy skepticism as they talk about the complicated nature of identity, family, and community. Biological connection is not the sole important factor in determining who belongs. Cultural knowledge and connection to a land base are also valued. Many Indian people are also concerned about loss of privacy and control if outsiders hold biological samples. Other tribal decision-makers have expressed interest in DNA testing and still others need more information.

Do Not Rely on DNA Testing Companies for Information

DNA testing companies are not in business to provide accessible and balanced information on DNA technologies. Their brochures generally contain shallow scientific detail. I suspect this is partly because these scientist-entrepreneurs do not know enough about the cultural politics of tribal membership to apply science to such questions.

At a recent 'tribal enrollment workshop' (that played out like a three-day sales pitch for DNA testing) a company representative claimed that DNA technology is '100 percent reliable in terms of creating accurate answers' to questions of tribal enrollment. But tribes should ask 'which questions can this technology provide answers to?'

Sometimes the biological connection of an enrollment applicant is in question. In"

3 Comments:

  • At 1:27 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there Helen Campbell I am out looking for the most recent information on louisiana genealogy and encountered your site. Although DNA Testing wasn't precisely what I was searching for, it certaninly got my attention and intrest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for louisiana genealogy connected information, and I'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a right match.

    Great post, Thanks for the read!

     
  • At 11:29 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there Helen Campbell I am out searching for the newest information on ellis island genealogy and discovered your site. Although DNA Testing wasn't just what I was searching for, it certaninly got my attention and intrest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for ellis island genealogy related information, and I'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a right match.

    Wonderful post, Thanks for the read!

     
  • At 12:06 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, you have a great blog
    I have a Anguilla- Home Businesssite.
    If you're interested come and check it out.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home